The Sierra Space Articulating Booms are deployable booms designed for the repeated deployment of payloads.
This hinge-deployed boom is made of tube structures and hinges providing stability and system simplicity.
Articulated booms are often used to deploy optical systems, radiation or magnetometer instruments, and other stability-sensitive payloads.
Cabling, waveguides, multi-layer insulation (MLI), and other hardware can be firmly mounted along the length of the boom where an axially deployed boom could not be incorporated due to boom rotation or risk of entanglement.
Articulated booms can use either a root/base stowed energy hinge or a motorized hinge to actuate the boom depending on mission requirements.
- Allows for attachment of equipment along the length of the boom
- Designed for higher instrument stability and position accuracy
- Simple and redundant design providing low-risk deployment
- Motor or stowed-energy-driven deployment
- Highly tailorable for thermal stability, strength, and stiffness
Disclaimer: satsearch is not responsible for any mistakes on this page, although we do our best to ensure correctness. Please report any mistakes to us.
Last updated: 2022-11-25