The Redwire Space Flexible Advanced Concentrator Technology (FACT) is a concentrator blanket assembly technology suitable for all space solar cell systems (XTJ, ZTJ and IMM). Every other row of a space solar array system can be replaced with the cost effective, modular deployable mirror elements. FACT concentrator is suitable for both planar rigid arrays and rolled or z-folded flexible solar arrays.
FACT technology, when used in a solar array structural platform such as Redwire Space’s Roll Out Solar Arrays [ROSA], can enhance the performance metrics in terms of affordability, user-friendly off-pointing tolerance, compact stowage, weight, high radiation hardness, high voltage compatibility and low operating temperature.
The FACT concentrator technology is suitable for LEO, MEO, GEO, Interplanetary, Deep Space/LILT Operations and Solar Electric Propulsion.
- Flexible Solar Arrays (Rolled or Z-folded)
- Rigid Panel Solar Arrays
- Missions: LEO, MEO, GEO , Interplanetary, Deep Space
- Extreme Environment Solar Arrays (high temperature, ultra-low temperature, LILT)
- Ultra-High Power Space Station or Space Tug Capability
- Electric Propulsion Direct Drive (high voltage)
- Low Earth Orbit (LEO)
- Middle Earth Orbit (MEO)
- Geosychronous Earth Orbit (GEO)
- Interplanetary Orbit
- Deep Space (LILT)
- 10% mass savings of “non-concentrated” solar array blanket
- Modular and scalable
- FACT concentrator modules can be implemented on all configurations and sizes of ROSA flexible solar arrays as well as rigid solar arrays
- Wide Off-Pointing Acceptance Angles
- Large solar array pointing tolerance
- Alpha ±10 degrees before non-cosine losses
- Beta: typical cosine loss solar array behavior
- Low Cell Operation Temperature
- Integral radiator within FACT module
- Illumination area=Radiative area
- High Voltage Compatibility
- FACT concentrators are compatible with high-voltage SEP missions
- High-voltage testing (plasma environment) performed at JPL
- High Deployment Reliability
- Integral spring elements within the concentrator assemblies self-deploy the FACT reflectors after the assembly is un-rolled or the array is deployed
The system has achieved flight heritage. Implemented on DART impactor spacecraft.
Testing & qualification
Robust testing (Functional array deployment/retraction, Launch Vibration, Thermal Cycling, Thermal functional array deployments, Electrical verification)
Flexible Advanced Concentrator Technology (FACT) Solar Arrays are export controlled through an ECCN (Export Control Classification Number) issued by the United States Department of Commerce, ECCN 7A104.
Export shipment requires successful application for an export license.
Disclaimer: satsearch is not responsible for any mistakes on this page, although we do our best to ensure correctness. Please report any mistakes to us.
Last updated: 2021-12-15